International Admissions Process

As a worldwide institution, Webster University ensures high-quality learning experiences that transform our students for global citizenship and individual excellence. We welcome students from around the world every year and diversity is essential to our mission, so our goal is to make the international admissions process as straightforward as possible.


International Student Admission Checklist and FAQs


Start Date

Application Deadline

I-20 Deadline

Begin Course Registration

Fall 1, 2020

August 17, 2020

June 15, 2020

June 30, 2020

April 13, 2020

Fall 2, 2020

October 19, 2020

August 15, 2020

August 31, 2020

April 13, 2020

Spring 1, 2021

January 4, 2021

November 1, 2020

November 15, 2020

October 26, 2020

Spring 2, 2021

March 15, 2021

January 15, 2021

January 31, 2021

October 26, 2020

Summer 2021

May 31, 2021

March 15, 2021

March 31. 2021

March 4, 2021

Online Application (preferred method) and the $50 application fee (for Graduate/Master's applicants only)

Note: Alternatively, you can submit your application one of the two following ways:

    1. Email: Send a scanned copy of the common application (in PDF or JPG format) to

    2. Mail: Ship a copy of the common application through a secured vendor (DHL, FedEx, UPS) or regular Postal Mail. Use this address:

      Webster University, Office of Admissions Attn: International Recruitment
      40 Rock Hill Road
      Webster Groves, MO 63119


What does Webster University look for in an application?

Admission to Webster University is competitive. Each applicant is reviewed individually to ascertain the fit between prior educational accomplishments and established academic expectations as Webster. Prior academic success is the best foundation to ensure continued success at Webster.


Is there a deadline for applying to Webster University?

Yes, the deadlines to apply to Webster University as an international student are typically approximately 10 weeks before the first day of classes for each term. These dates vary depending on academic level and program. See exact deadlines in the section above titled "Deadlines".

Test Score Requirements





Undergraduate 550 (PBT) / 80 (iBT) 6.0 53
Graduate 575 (PBT) / 80 (iBT) 6.5 53



Citizenship of one of the following countries: 

Antigua & Barbuda; Australia; The Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; Canada (except Quebec); Dominica; Ghana; Grenada; Guyana; Jamaica; New Zealand; St. Kitts & Nevis; St. Lucia; St. Vincent & the Grenadines; Trinidad & Tobago; United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales).


What if I do not meet the minimum English Proficiency score?

Academically qualified students who are not yet proficient in English may be granted ESL-contingent acceptance and be placed into appropriate English as a Second Language (ESL) courses.


Are there any other methods to prove English proficiency besides TOEFL, ELTS, or Pearson?

Instead of submitting English Proficiency Scores from TOEFL, IELTS, or Pearson, students can demonstrate English proficiency by:

  • Successfully complete at least 1 academic year of high school or college-level coursework in English by a regionally accredited U.S. college or university (Note: ESL coursework does not apply to this exception) within the past two years.
  • Successfully complete ELS Language Center's “English for Academic Purposes” or ELS Language Center “Level 112.” Students will need to show the Graduation Certificate for either of the classes.
  • Successfully complete the University of Central Florida's Center for Multilingual Multicultural Studies (CMMS) Intensive English Program. Students will need to show the completion certificate.

For an initial admission decision, students may submit scanned copies of their final, original transcripts. Note:  If the transcript does not include the date the degree was awarded, please also submit a copy of the final degree certificate. If the documents are not in English, please also submit professional, literal translations.


What information should an Academic Transcript contain?

For the purposes of admissions and transfer credit, an official document is a document that has been sent directly to Webster from the institution you attended, arriving at Webster in a sealed envelope. The official transcript should contain:

  • A list of all courses completed
  • Grades for all coursework attempted
  • Credit earned for all coursework attempted
  • Confirmation of graduation date (or expected graduation date)
  • Confirmation of degree conferral (unless coursework is still in progress)

Some countries do not list confirmation of graduation date or degree conferral on transcripts. In this case, students should turn in both a transcript and a diploma.

If the transcript is not in English, a certified translation of the original transcript must be provided.


What is a “certified” translation?

It is important that documents are translated by a certified individual. Since translated documents are actually specific kind of legal document, it is critical they are accurate and without error. This means students cannot have their friend or university professor translate the documents. It needs to be an individual who has training and is a professional translator.

For a document to be “certified,” the translation should include a signed statement confirming that the translation into English is accurate and complete to the best of the translator’s knowledge and ability. Sometimes, a company will then get a notary public to approve and seal the document.


Where can a student find a certified translator?

Students can search for translators on the internet. Before they hire the translator, they should ask the company if they have the ability to certify their translations. This should be done before students submit documents and payment.


Choose either an essay or resume. Must be 300-500 words in length.


What should a student write about in the essay?

The essay can be on a topic of your choice. Most students talk about why they would like to study at Webster University. You may also describe a special area of interest, experience or achievement. Just remember that it should be 300-500 words in length.


What should a resume emphasize?

Instead of an essay, students may choose to submit a resume of relevant academic, extracurricular, and professional experience.

Certificate of Finance
The U.S. government requires students to provide proof of financial support for at least 1 year for both educational and living expenses.

Copy of the ID page


What is a Certification of Finances?

The U.S. government requires proof that you have the funds for at least the first year in the United States. The Certificate of Finances is this proof.

Once we have verified that you have enough money to cover the cost of 1 academic year, we will issue an I-20 (for F-1 students). Please note that we retain the right to require an original financial document from you if further verification is needed.


How much money should the certificate of finances cover?

Student’s certificate of finances should cover costs for both studies and living expenses (including housing, food, clothing, activities, medicine, and other personal costs) for at least 1 academic year at Webster University. For a list of costs for the current academic year, please see below, under "Cost of Attendance".

If you plan to bring dependent family members with you, there is an additional cost per year of $4,500 for a spouse and $3,000 for each child. We will also need to receive proof of relationship (such as copy of marriage certificate and/or birth certificate) and a dependent request form. For more information, please see below, under "Dependents".


What is an acceptable financial document?

The Certificate of Finances must be officially translated into English and should show liquid or easily accessible funds such as:

  • Bank statement(s) from student, parents, or from other individuals showing the most current monthly statement with an ending balance.
  • Bank letter stating you have sufficient funds in the bank. Sample Bank Letter.
  • Sponsor's letter accompanied by bank statement(s). Sample Sponsor's Letter.
  • Official letter of approved loans
  • Government or other agencies’ scholarship letters showing 1) the scholarship amount, 2) items covered, and 3) duration of the award.
  • Graduate assistantship or any other university offer letter from Webster University.

Financial documents must be dated no more than six months before the start of your first term.


What are unacceptable financial documents?

The following financial documents are not acceptable:

  • Verification of employment and annual salary statement
  • Property or personal assets (land, buildings, jewelry, etc.)
  • Lines of credit
  • Investments, stocks, retirement accounts or other accounts from which money cannot be withdrawn


Why is the passport copy needed?
Submitting a copy of your passport is critical because it ensures that your name on your I-20 exactly matches your name on your passport.

Note: Your passport must be valid for at least your first 6 months in the United States. You can then work with your Embassy or Consulate to get it renewed.

Are there any scholarships available for international students?

For undergraduates, yes, there are scholarships for international students. All details about applying and eligibility are listed on the Financial Aid Scholarships & Programs page.

For graduates, unfortunately no, there are no scholarships available through the university. On- campus employment can help with a small portion of the cost of living, and limited, competitive graduate assistantships provide partial tuition remission to students hired for those positions.


What is the cost of atending Webster University?

Undergraduate Cost of Attendance

The cost of attendance includes other elements besides tuition that international students should be prepared for. To that end, you can find a complete list of university costs for the current academic year listed below.

Below is the estimated Webster University costs for two semesters, which is one academic year excluding expenses for dependents and for summer (that is the cost for living expenses, tuition, transportation etc.).  The average cost of tuition fees is based on flat fee enrollment consisting of 26-36 credit hours per year. Actual costs may vary depending on the student’s program of study.


Estimated Undergraduate Costs for 2020-2021 School Year

(International Students attending the St. Louis Home Campus)

Program Tuition Cost of Living* Health Insurance** Total
Undergraduate $28,500 $13,020 $2,700 $44,220
Undergraduate (Conservatory) $33,100 $13,020 $2,700 $48,820


* Includes estimates for housing, meal plan, personal care, entertainment, and books
** Mandatory for all international students unless they have a government-sponsored health insurance


Graduate Cost of Attendance

Below is the estimated Webster University cost for one academic year, which is four graduate terms (9 months of full-time enrollment). This includes tuition, estimated cost of living, and the required health insurance:


Estimated Graduate Costs for 2020-2021 School Year
Location Program Tuition Cost of Living* Health Insurance* Total
St. Louis Graduate $18,000 $16,030 $2,700 $36,730
Orlando Graduate $15,120 $18,800 $2,700 $36,620
Irvine Graduate $18,720 $20,850 $2,700 $42,270


* Cost of Living: Includes estimates for housing, meal plan, personal care, entertainment, and books
* Health Insurance: Mandatory for all international students unless they have government-sponsored health insurance



What should I do if I’m applying as an international transfer student?

Transfer students will first submit their application and all other required documents: official transcripts from your previous degree as well as from your current studies, statement of purpose or resume, letters of recommendation, and ESL-proficiency scores. If you have successfully completed one year of studies at a regionally-accredited U.S. university, the ESL-proficiency requirement can be waived.

For the Certification of Finances, it’s important that the financial documents be updated, meaning that they were issued no more than six months before the starting date of the term you’re applying for. An admission decision cannot be made for a transfer student before Webster has received the financial documents.

After being accepted, Webster will give you more details about how to work with your current international student advisor (your DSO) to transfer your record to Webster. They will have to certify that you are a student in good standing and that you do not owe the institution any money before Webster will authorize transferring your record. You will receive your I-20 from Webster after you have attended the New International Student Orientation at the beginning of term, which includes the required Immigration Check-In.



Dependents are spouses or unmarried minor children under the age of 21. They may accompany an F-1 or J-1 student to the United States or join the student at a later date. They are eligible for admission to the United States in F-2 and J-2 status respectively and will be issued individual I-20s or DS-2019s.

The student needs to request an I-20 or DS-2019 from International Recruitment and International Services for his or her dependent. The dependent should then go to the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate and obtain an F-2 visa or J-2 visa before entering the U.S.


Bringing a Spouse or Children to the U.S.

If a student wishes to bring his/her spouse or children to the United States, the student needs to submit to International Recruitment and International Services the following documents:

  • Dependent I-20 or DS-2019 Request Form
  • Current bank statement indicating that he/she has at least $4,500 to sponsor a spouse and $3,000 to sponsor each dependent or letter of sponsorship, attesting that the living expenses of the student’s dependent(s) will be paid by the entity giving the scholarship.
  • Copy of passport biographical picture page of the dependents
  • Proof of relationship such as copy of the marriage license or child’s birth certificate accompanied by English translation

To qualify for F-2 or J-2 status, a dependent must demonstrate that the F-1 or J-1 student has been admitted and is or will be enrolled full-time or engaged in optional practical training or academic training.



F-2 Dependents: The F-2 spouse of an F-1 student may now engage in part-time study, but not full-time study. However, an F-2 child who is in elementary or secondary school (i.e. kindergarten through twelfth grade) may engage in full-time study only at these levels. The only form of study permitted for F-2 spouse and child who is not in K-12 level is study that is avocational or recreational in nature such as English language conversation.

An F-2 dependent desiring to engage in full-time study must apply for and obtain a change of non-immigrant classification to F-1 status. An F-2 dependent violates his or her non-immigrant status by engaging in full-time studies that is not permitted.

J-2 Dependents: J-2 dependents are permitted to study full-time or part-time with no restriction.



F-2 Dependents: Individuals in F-2 status are not permitted to work in the United States and may not accept employment under any circumstance.

J-2 Dependents: Individuals in J-2 status are allowed to work in the United States, but must first apply for employment authorization from USCIS before starting employment. They can use Form I-765 to apply for employment.


*Specialty Programs have additional admission requirements. These programs include Art, Music, the MHA, Forensic Accounting, all School of Education programs, and more. Your admission counselor will contact you with details.

*A letter of recommendation may be requested after an initial review on a case-by-case basis.


Who should write a letter of recommendation?

Teachers, counselor and/or employees should write the letters of recommendation. It is good to get different types of people to write the letters, i.e.: 1 teacher and 1 coach.


What should the letter of recommendation be about?

The letters should discuss your character and ability to succeed in university-level studies.




News & Events

Connect with Us